If you’ve heard of the health benefits of kale but still have your doubts about this leafy green vegetable, then why not try it in an amazing kale burger! Making the transition to kale can be intimidating when you’ve never tried it before, but one ought to try with the vast goodness of this superfood. So today, we’ll be talking about this fantastic recipe that might make you think differently about kale.
Kale is widely acclaimed for being a rich source of antioxidants, calcium, iron, vitamins C and K, and has so much more to offer. Kale burgers are pretty straightforward, delicious, and healthy. And even though you may not be a fan of kale just yet, you have certainly had your share of burgers in your life, so what could be better than to combine one of your preferred foods with one that you are not too sure about.
So keep your mind open and don’t think that only because a burger has veggies and specifically this leafy green means, it tastes bad. It is quite the opposite.
There are several ways in which you can prepare a kale burger, and you do not need to be a vegan to eat this healthy burger option. Now that you know that kale burger recipes exist and how good they are, check out different recipe options and choose your favorite to make it home. What about chips for your burger? check out the benefits of kale chips.
Amazing Kale Burger!!
If you like lots of garlic, then this is the kale burger recipe for you. These garlic kale burgers are super yummy and healthy. This recipe also includes beans and crunchy sunflower seeds for a flavorful combo.
This is a serious veggie burger full of kale mixed up with lots of garlic, white beans, basil, and crunchy little sunflower seeds. These burgers come out sturdy and offer a fantastic bite, and are not soggy at all. It will only take you 25 minutes to whip up four of these bad boys.
- ½ lb. curly kale, about 1 small bunch or ½ of a large bunch
- 1-15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or more, if you want your burger very garlicky!)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil, for grilling
- For Serving:
- 4 to 6 burger buns
- 4 to 6 lettuce leaves, or a few handfuls of shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced (I like mine sautéed too)
- vegan mayo
- Remove stems from kale and steam for about five minutes in the microwave.
- Using a food processor, place the kale along with beans, 1 cup panko, sunflower seeds, basil, garlic, and lemon juice. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape the mixture into 4 to 6 patties.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a medium skillet and place it over medium heat. Working in batches, if needed, place patties into the skillet and cook until browned on bottoms.
- Stuff into buns and top with your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 500Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1962mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 11gSugar: 8gProtein: 21g
If you enjoy a good veggie burger, then this should be your first choice. Whit this burger, you have lunch or dinner ready; it is a meal in itself and packs a huge nutritious content with loads of antioxidants.
This is super easy to make the recipe; all you have to do is toast your favorite burger bun, grill some onion for garnish and add some goat cheese as a topper or the cheese of your preference. It is super simple and satisfying; it will definitely make your cooking recipe book.
- 1 large and washed bunch of kale
- sea salt
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic or 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- cayenne to taste (if you like)
- heaping 1/4 cup almond meal
- heaping 1/4 cup flour
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- Favorite cheese
- Remove stems and chop kale into thin ribbons; sprinkle with sea salt and gently massage; let rest 15 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the tomato, tahini, almond butter, garlic, and coriander.
- In a large saucepan, heat a little oil. Add the kale and saute for a minute; then add 1/2 cup or so of water and cover loosely. Let it cook until it’s just wilting, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix the almond meal and flour in a small bowl.
- Blend part of the kale with the tomato mixture and then take it to the large bowl with the reserved kale and mix it all.
- Form six burgers and coat each burger in the remaining flour/almond meal.
- Cook each burger for 4 minutes on each side.
- Place your burger on a toasted bun and top with onions and cheese.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 204Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
After you try this recipe, you’ll be addicted to the right kind of burgers! This is a favorite of vegans, and it is made with black beans, kale, and plenty of kick from sriracha and other spices.
This kale burger recipe can literally compete with any regular meat burger, thanks to the black beans that help give that meat look and add a great consistency.
It is super easy to make and will satisfy even meat lovers; another great thing about this recipe is that you can make it ahead, cover the mixture, and keep it in the fridge.
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cartons (460g drained) black beans
- 2 cups packed kale
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp smoked garlic granules
- 1-2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 flax egg
- 2 tbsp flour + extra for dusting
- 4 burger buns
- Toppings of choice
- Finely dice the onion and fry until translucent.
- Add the black beans to a mixing bowl and mash, leaving some whole.
- Chop the kale and steam in the microwave or a pan.
- Drain the kale and add along with the onion, spices, chopped chili, flour, and flax egg. Please give it a good stir and place it in the fridge for half an hour.
- Heat some oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Divide the mixture into 4 and dust the chopping board in flour. Shape into 4 burgers and coat each side with a little flour.
- Fry for 5-6 minutes on each side until crispy and brown.
- Toast your buns, and add cheese slices whilst the burgers are in the pan and hot.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 228Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 604mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 10g
If you are tired of the same dinner, opt for a lighter, healthier option with this amazing kale and quinoa burger. It makes a great light lunch or dinner, and you’ll surely impress your vegan and non-vegan friends and family with this recipe.
These burger patties are super simple to make, and unlike other kale burger recipes, this one is unless you save those extra calories. The patties are topped with goat’s cheese instead and accompanied with yummy pesto, and trust us; it is a recipe that you’ll be making a lot after you try it for the first time.
- 140g quinoa
- 500g hot vegetable stock
- 100g kale, stalks removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 50g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100g goat’s cheese, cut from a round log
- green salad, to serve (optional)
- Cook your quinoa as you would normally do. Steam your kale and squeeze out any excess water, and set it aside.
- Cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes, tip the cooked quinoa into a bowl and add the kale, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, and sundried tomatoes. Season well and mix to combine. Set aside
- Using your hands, form the quinoa mixture into 8 round patties. Add to the frying pan and fry for 4-5 mins each side until crisp and golden.
- Heat the grill to high and put a slice of goat’s cheese on top of each patty. Place under the grill to brown and melt the cheese slightly. Top each patty with a generous spoonful of pesto.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 242Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 462mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g
This kale burger is simply delicious and made with super healthy ingredients that will give you that needed boost to keep your body going. These burgers have a lovely texture, and you can add condiments of your choice.
You may expect blandly healthy, but these are really tasty, and leftovers are greatly mixed in with all sorts of other ingredients in your pantry, great to enjoy over the next couple of days. Definitely a keeper recipe!
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Sauté onion and carrots until tender, about 4 minutes. Add finely chopped kale and sauté until wilted. Add garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried thyme, and salt, sauté for one additional minute.
- Add all ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Shape into 4 patties.
- Heat skillet to medium heat, add patties, and cook until browned on both sides, approximately 6 minutes per side.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 67Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
If you are not so sure about a kale burger, what about a kale wrap.